This style came to the U.S. in the late 1800s and enjoyed popularity particularly during the 1920s and 1930s. Typically asymmetrical, these houses feature steeply pitched roofs often with cross gables; half-timbering; prominent chimneys, and arched or half-round doors. Siding mixes stucco, brick and shingles or clapboard.
Windows are often tall and narrow with multiple lights, including diamond lights.
This style was popular from the early 1900s to the 1930s. Features include low-pitched gable roofs; wide, overhanging eaves with exposed roof beams and rafter tails; prominent dormers, and double-hung multi-pane windows. Siding often combines clapboard, shingles, stone and stucco. Some have porches or a portico over the entry door, with columns supported on stone or brick piers.
Often cited as the most popular U.S. house style between the First and Second World Wars, these houses are symmetrical and rectangular, sometimes with a one-story wing. Major features include a columned portico; centered entry door with sidelights or a fanlight; double-hung multi-light windows; multiple dormers in gable or hipped roofs and cornices with decorative dentils or modilions.
This style gained popularity in the early 1900s as suburban growth boomed and affordable housing was sought. Symmetrical in design, with four square rooms in the first and second floors, the style typically includes hipped roofs with wide eaves; attic dormers; full-width front porches with square columns; and offset, not centered, front doors.
Popularized at the 1915 Panama-California Exposition in San Diego, this style features stucco cladding, tile roofs without overhanging eaves, and round-arch windows and doors.
The asymmetrical design sometimes incorporates a tower.
Exterior decorative elements include colored tiles and wrought iron details.
Other distinctive early 20th century homes and buildings enrich Staten Island streetscapes including: A former estate gatehouse, Cebra Avenue; Walker Park clubhouse, Bard Avenue; St. Mary's Church rectory, Davis Avenue; Faber Park poolhouse, Richmond Terrace; and St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, York Avenue. None enjoy NYC landmark status.
Built in 1900: One of a row of eight Tudor Revival homes on Vanderbilt Avenue in Clifton, designed by architects Carrère and Hastings.
Cobblestone chimney of the Allen House, 665 Clove Rd, West Brighton. Built 1920-1921 and designated an official New York City landmark in 2006.
91 Marion Avenue, Stapleton Heights.
214 Potter Avenue, Castleton Corners: Full-width porch with boxed columns and offset front door.
22 Fort Hill Circle, St. George.
One of a kind: 101 Cebra Avenue, Tompkinsville; built in 1927.
Copyright © 2017 Virginia N. Sherry. All Rights Reserved.