The first section of this NYC landmark was built circa 1720, with one room, a cellar and garret. Another section was added in the 1730s. The overhanging spring eaves were designed to divert water from the stone walls and foundation. It is located on Arthur Kill Road in Richmond Town.
The original one-story stone section of the Scott-Edwards House at 752 Delafield Avenue in West Brighton was built circa 1730 in the Dutch Colonial style. The second floor and seven-column Greek Revival portico were additions in the early 1840s. It was designated a NYC landmark in 1967.
At 806 Richmond Terrace in New Brighton, this official NYC landmark is one of the few large pre-Revolutionary War country houses still standing in the city. It was constructed with locally quarried red sandstone, and the two-story veranda is a notable architectural feature.
Joseph Guyon built this house in the Dutch Colonial style circa 1740 on his 80-acre farm on Tysen's Lane in Oakwood. Its gambrel roof and spring eave above the porch are important historic features. It was moved to 3711 Richmond Road in Richmond Town in 1962, and landmarked in 1969.
This hilltop building was constructed in 1763 to serve as first New Dorp Moravian Church and parsonage, at what is now 2205 Richmond Road. The graceful Dutch Colonial-style roof extends over the eaves to shelter a columned porch. The building now houses the church's administrative offices.
The clapboard Boehm-Frost House, with its historic windows and red brick chimneys, dates to 1770. It was built on what is now Arthur Kill Road, near the intersection with Giffords Lane. The house was moved to 43 Arthur Kill Road in Historic Richmond Town in 1965, and designated an official NYC landmark in 1969.
Christopher House, circa 1720-1730, features gently curved spring eaves extending over the stone walls. It is located in HIstoric Richmond Town.
Copyright © 2017 Virginia N. Sherry. All Rights Reserved.